Saturday, January 20, 2007

Stop Writing My Nightmares George Orwell!

If you live in Iran (as I do) in any society of more than 12, you see idiocy in action every other minute. One of the major sources of these stupid acts is, unfortunately, our officials (I guess every government in the world is like that, but that's no excuse.) Having lived here for ~25 years (i.e all my life) you'd think that I'd have seen all the aspects of such stupidity. But you'd be wrong. This last act is so pointlessly stupid (or so purely malevolent and evil) that all other tales and anecdotes pale beside it. (OK, I take that back. Not all others!) It's called the Plan for Organization of Iranian Internet Sites [Farsi]. Basically, they are forcing every web and FTP(!) site owner (everyone with a top level domain name,) to "register" their own and their site's information in a central database. What this database will be used for is not mentioned. All unregistered sites will be blocked! If you feel like it, read through the regulations[Farsi] yourself. Notice that how the fact that they're going to block every unregistered site is broken up and scattered all over the document. It makes me sad and full of rage. Sad that my beloved country is in such a pitiful state and me my fellow countrymen are so stupid and inactive. Why aren't we protesting to this outrageously ridiculous invasion of our rights? It's also chillingly frightening. Is this part of a move toward an Orwellian, 1984-like society? Will we find telescreens in our homes one day? We already have some crimes very near to thoutcrimes. Thinking about these things plunges me into a dark stupor. I wish I could do something. I am really afraid, I am scared to death that when people are pushed too hard for too long, they're going to erupt. No one in their right minds want another revolution or war. By the way, if you're the owner of a web site and you live in Iran, please please don't register it. Please don't.

No comments: