Wednesday, April 25, 2007

BitTorrent Share Ratio Now More Than Half

I use the BitTorrent network extensively to download stuff, and hopefully to distribute stuff in the future. I'm not going to talk about the merits of BT in comparison with other client-server and P2P technologies (it is better!)
I use Azureus for a BT software (or client?) and I'm fine with it. It has a lot of features that one will use (and some that I don't,) and a plug-in system that I haven't used yet. My only bone to pick with Azureus is that it's a Java program, therefore it's somewhat (a little, really) heavy on resources and supposedly a bit slower than it could have been. But it's the best client I've seen. (It's taking a hideous turn in their new version 3.0 though. Think Windows Media Player 6.4 versus Media Player 10! *shudders*)
Another very good BT software is µTorrent. It is fast, small (think 200KiB!) and it gets the job done. It doesn't even need installation! The only problem is that it's not free software. It's not even open-source! Anyway, I suggest µTorrent to all.
Anyway, the reason that I'm rambling on about BitTorrent is that my share ratio finally crossed the 0.5 point last night. That means the number of bytes that I've uploaded is now more than half of the bytes that I've downloaded (via Azureus only, on Mike.) The numbers are 135.10 GiB for upload and 270.00 GiB for download in 264 days, 20 hours. I know that a 0.5 share ratio is not something to be proud of, but it's at least better than everybody I know about (over here in Iran.) Considering the fact that I'm on an ADSL connection (Assymetric DSL) which has an uplink bandwidth of half of its downlink, I guess my ratio is OK.

2 comments:

adamryan said...

uTorrent isn't free? are you sure? or is it just not free in Iran? over here in the States we can download it for free. =\



-adamryan

yzt said...

What I meant wasn't free like "free beer," but more like "free speech" as in "source code included!"