Thursday, April 12, 2007

Boost 1.34 is Near

If you program in C++, and you've been doing so for more than a year, and you do not know about or use the Boost libraries, you're missing the point of C++. Go get it. Please do so! It's not just that boost libraries are very useful as tools, but also the fact that even reading the prefaces to the documentation gives you insight into software design in general and C++ programming in particular. Delving into the source is an eye-opener for any C++ programmer who thinks he/she knows the language.
The parts are so useful that I've been using them (or wishing to be able to use them) in all my projects in the past year. And it's expanding by the week. Also, many of the libraries that are currently part of Boost, have been accepted into the standard library of the next version of C++ language, what people call C++0x (because it will hopefully come out before 2010, but we don't know when.)
From the traffic on the boost developers' mailing list (which is very high volume and highly technical, certainly higher than my level,) it seems that the 1.34 version is near (the current version is 1.33.1) which will contain many new parts, most notably asio. Of course, you can get all the bleeding edge stuff mostly from their respective homes, and definitely from the boost CVS repository (which I do,) but keeping your compiled versions up-to-date where a full rebuild takes 20 minutes on my system, in addition to the chance of slight incompatibilities is a bit more than I'm prepared to take on my plate.
Anyway, go and check it out if you're not already familiar with it. See the amazing stuff these people are doing. Maybe I'll try to write about some of the boost libraries that I'm more familiar with. Maybe!

No comments: