Monday, March 06, 2006

The Machinist

I just watched The Machinist. It is a good movie, and the ending was in some ways even more surprising than the likes of Fight Club. It reminds me of Memento, and how while the images of the film are bright and sunny, the film is as dark as it gets. One more thing I liked about this movie was that although it presented a lot of questions during its run, it still managed to wrap up the main plot line. Not like the torture that was Mulholland Drive at all (Make no mistakes, though. I liked Mulholland Dr.) But the main thing that causes me to like this film is Christian Bale. He's become so thin in the Machinist, that it is actually disturbing in some shots. You cannot help but pity him in the first half of the film. But then, the events get more peculiar and you, along with him, become curious and determined. All in all, I think he is brilliant in The Machinist (but since when I've become an expert on acting!) and I've loved his acting since I saw the first trailers for American Psycho.

No comments: